Two Levels of Shearing Services
Shearing is typically done in April and includes both alpacas and llamas.
For your convenience, we offer two levels of shearing services, DIY Services and Concierge Services.
- DIY Services, you bring all of the supplies and bag your own fleece. (See details below.)
- Concierge Services, you bring your animals to us and we do all the work for you. The required supplies are included in the cost. (See details below.)
- Firsts: (blanket) This region starts on the side of the animal, extends over the back to the other side of the animal.
- Seconds: This includes the neck, shoulder, and rump fiber.
- Thirds: The lower leg fiber is much shorter and usually more coarse.
- This is a stressful time for the animals so, to minimize their stress as much as possible, please do not bring guests.
- Each alpaca must be wearing a correctly-fitted halter with a lead rope.
- Someone must stay near the shearing area to identify the alpacas for us as they are being shorn.
Cost is $40 per alpaca, which includes the following:
- Shearing (see notes below)
- Trimming head and legs
- Trimming toenails
Supplies to bring:
- Index cards (three per animal). The following information about each alpaca must be printed clearly, in black marker, on each card (see notes below):
- Write in the middle of each card, in large print: 1st, 2nd or 3rd.
- Write the animal’s name in the upper left.
- Date of Birth in the upper right.
- Species in the lower left (Alpaca H, Alpaca S, Llama, etc.)
- Shearing Date in the lower left.
- Owner’s name and contact info on the back
- Clear plastic bags (three per animal).
- You must have your cards filled out completely when you arrive.
- You must collect and separate your own fiber into 1st, 2nd & 3rd fiber grades and bag it accordingly.