Fitzgerald Acres Alpaca Ranch is hosting a shearing event again this year.
Our shearer, Molly & Thomas with Drakeley Custom Shearing, will be out here on April 23rd and 24th. This is our 3rd year hosting this event with Molly and Thomas. They are wonderful! I’ve no doubt you will love them as much as I do.
Please note, this is a private event for alpaca and llama owners only.
We offer two levels of shearing services, DIY Services and Concierge Services.
- DIY Services: You bring all of the supplies, bag your own fleece and clean up after your animal (hair, and beans, if necessary) Clean up tools will be provided. (See details below.)
- Concierge Services: You bring your animals to us and we do all the work for you. The required supplies are included in the cost. (See details below.)
- Firsts: (AKA blanket) This region starts on the side of the animal, extends over the back to the other side of the animal.
- Seconds: This includes the neck, shoulder, and rump fiber.
- Thirds: Is the lower leg, stomach and chest fiber, which is much shorter and usually more coarse.
- This is a stressful time for the animals so, to minimize their stress as much as possible, please do not bring guests who are not helping you with your animals.
- Each alpaca must be wearing a correctly-fitted halter with a lead rope.
- Someone must stay near the shearing area to identify the alpacas for us as they are being shorn.
- Space is limited. Reserve your spot(s) today!