Shearing is typically done in April and includes both alpacas and llamas.
For your convenience, we offer two levels of shearing services, DIY Services and Concierge Services.
- DIY Services, you bring all of the supplies and bag your own fleece. (See details below.)
- Concierge Services, you bring your animals to us and we do all the work for you. The required supplies are included in the cost. (See details below.)
- Firsts: (blanket) This region starts on the side of the animal, extends over the back to the other side of the animal.
- Seconds: This includes the neck, shoulder, and rump fiber.
- Thirds: The lower leg fiber is much shorter and usually more coarse.
- This is a stressful time for the animals so, to minimize their stress as much as possible, please do not bring guests.
- Each alpaca must be wearing a correctly-fitted halter with a lead rope.
- Someone must stay near the shearing area to identify the alpacas for us as they are being shorn.